- Thorpe St Andrew
The name Cringleford is thought to mean ‘the ford by the round hill’ and is Saxon in origin.
In 1519 AD the wooden bridge that was built across the River Yare was swept away by heavy floods and was rebuilt in brick and stone. The narrow bridge has, sadly, been the scene of many accidents, such as when the Norwich to Newmarket mail coach overturned in 1845, luckily with no loss of life.
At the beginning of the twentieth century, Cringleford’s population was about 200, growing to over 1,000 by 1940. By this date Cringleford had become a very popular place for professional people who had previously resided in Norwich.
Taylor’s of Cringleford was founded in 1890 by Edward Taylor and was a well-known firm and, at one point, employed over 200 people. The firm built carts, wagons and tumbrils at first and then went on to become a flourishing coach-building business. They later went on to specialise in high-class joinery and worked in many churches and in Norwich and Ely Cathedral. In 1960 the business was bought by the building firm, R. G. Carter.
Today Cringleford is a very popular place to live with many desirable and sought after properties.